Strategic goal of the project is to address the problem of high contribution of buildings in energy use and greenhouse emissions, by implementing pilot measures for improving the EE of public buildings. For that purpose, the project consists of two components which will be implemented in parallel:
1. Undertaking pilot reconstruction measures of public buildings (kindergarten, schools and municipality building) towards improving their energy efficiency.
2. Strengthening capacities of employees in public buildings (municipal administration, employees of education centers and kindergarten) in designing and implementing EE measures
1. The first component will directly contribute towards improving the energy performance of the selected public buildings by implementing pilot reconstruction measures. For that purpose two sets of activities will be implemented by different partners, based on their competences:
a) Preparatory activities or current situation analysis (WP3) – 2 Assessments of current status on EE of public buildings elaborated (one in Republic of North Macedonia and 1 in Greece), SEAP for Municipality of Valandovo, EE Program and Action plan + determination of priority sectors + 3 PFSs, Greenhouse emissions inventory for Valandovo prepared:
b) Direct EE infrastructure measures in the kindergarten in the municipality of Valandovo, Republic of North Macedonia , Provatas Lyceum in the municipality of Serres, primary school of the municipality of Radovish and music school of Florina (WP4)
2. Component 2 will focus on implementing soft intervention measures consisting of educational and promotional activities. It will consist of the following set of activities (WP5)
a) Capacity building program for employees in the public buildings, professionals and children, consisting of training workshops and coaching sessions. The workshops will aim at increasing the knowledge of the employees who work in the public buildings about EE with regard to mitigation of climate change as a result of decreased greenhouse gas emissions and will cover the following topics:
- Municipal strategies in dealing with climate change
- EE and energy audit in the European Union
- Legal framework on energy efficiency and energy audit in the Republic of North Macedonia
- Analysis of the current condition of the EE of buildings, construction units, installations and industrial processes
- Possibilities for improvement of EE of public buildings
- Renewable Energy Sources
For the training participatory training techniques will be used, containing case studies, small group work, exercises, role plays and panel discussions, where in addition to acquiring knowledge from experienced trainers, the participants will have opportunity to share ideas, provide joint solutions and learn from their experiences.
Coaching sessions will aim at providing direct assistance and training on the job of public administration, and teaching staff for reducing the energy costs and manage in effective ways to manage and maintain the facility where they work.
b) Organizing summer camp for children, where children up to 18 years will be introduced to the topics of environmental protection, climate change, renewable energies, EE, etc.
c) Developing E-learning platform for knowledge transfer, sharing best practices, lessons learned.
The purchased equipment (hardware, software, LEDs, small PV and smart meters, and various measurement EE measurement instruments) will be placed in the partner institutions and will be used continuously after the project implementation is over. The necessary funds for their maintenance will be provided by the municipality’s budgets.
Every partner will be properly responsible for the safe implementation of the undertaken deliverables, with full involvement and coordination by the LB and the responsible Project manager. Full coordination will be established regarding administrative, technical and financial management among the partners. Project monitoring and ongoing evaluation of the project activities and outputs are regular and continuous activities, which have to contribute to proper risk management. The close cooperation will enable prevention from risks in the project implementation and will be taken into account the proper timing of corrective actions, if needed.